Monday, June 10, 2013

An Underrated Musical

My new obsession
In the midst of me preparing for my Ancient History exam it dawned upon me that it was in fact Monday and I had to write something cool and profound on here!

The last couple of days can roughly be described as really unproductive studying-wise. Yesterday it was the big night of this years Tony's (which I haven't watched yet, so I won't be writing anything about it today - maybe next week!), so I've - naturally - been watching a lot of videos with various actors, stalked a few twitters and instagram-accounts and listened to a bunch of great soundtracks trying to brighten up my mood and the time.
Even though I'm not going to talk about the Tony Awards I will, however, talk about someone who was nominated this year for best actress in a musical.

I remember back in November when I watched a video clip of Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (is that even what it's called??!) where she and the company of Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella performed. I've always been a huge fan of the story about the girl and the glass slipper, so I was of course very excited about it. The performance was excellent and I remember going back to watch it a few times... and then suddenly the musical was on Broadway! I believe it opened sometime in March, but I'm not quite sure.

Laura Osnes 

Anyway, that was the way I learned about Mrs Osnes and her talent and knew that I had to check out everything else she had done! Even though I lovelovelove Cinderella I won't talk about it this week (maybe another fantastic and magical Monday); I really want to talk about a, in my opinion, greatly underrated show starring Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan who only got ONE SINGLE MONTH ON BROADWAY instead. The show I'm talking about is Bonnie & Clyde.

I watched a bootleg sometime last week and I instantly fell in love with the story about the outlaws and lovers Clyde Barrow (Jeremy Jordan) and Bonnie Parker (Laura Osnes) - one of America's most famous criminal persons who lived during the Great Depression. The musical with music by Frank Wildhorn, lyrics by Don Black and a book by Ivan Menchell focuses on their relationship between the two lovers and how they eventually became what they are known for today whilst painting a picture of how it was to live in the 30s. It's extremely well made and a quite interesting idea for a musical that really works!

Claybourne Elder and Melissa van der Schyff as Buck and Blanche Barrow

The soundtrack has a great mix of Americana such as blues, gospel, country and some of the the most hauntingly beautiful and heartfelt ballads I've heard in a very long time which I've been humming along to all week. Even though the show is about crime and outlaws it is also about love and how far you'd go for it - and the consequences of it!

Yes, it has definitely become one of my favorite musicals (and no, I don't have too many of them - there's no such thing as too many favorite musicals!). It has everything a good musical needs. It's sexy, funny, exciting, sad and full of heart. Laura Osnes and Jeremy Jordan shines as the two main characters, but also Claybourne Elder as Clyde's brother Buck and especially Melissa van der Schyff as Buck's faithful wife Blanche are someone you really come to love as the story evolves and they were, maybe, those I came to like the best.

Jeremy Jordan and Laura Osnes as Bonnie & Clyde in the musical

The set is also one of a kind and I enjoyed the way real pictures of Bonnie, Clyde and the gang and newspaper articles was a part of the show as well - the same with how they sometimes had on the same clothes as their characters wore back then. Really clever and it made the musical so much more believable.

Real-life Bonnie & Clyde

I don't think there's anything else to say other than I'm really sad it got such a short run, but I can definitely recommend watching a bootleg of the show (just search for it on youtube and it'll show up) and maybe read a little about the real Bonnie & Clyde - it's really fascinating reading!

So without further ado, I'd like to present you one of my favorite songs from the musical Bonnie & Clyde and bid you all a goodbye and see you next week - I promise to remember it!


Rebecca :)

P.S. I want to be Laura Osnes in my next life - that's not too much to ask for, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment