Saturday, June 29, 2013

Getting to know me!

So today I thought I would give you guys a sort of introduction to me as a rower (better late than never) The idea absolutely stolen from Rebecca - hope you don't mind darling :*


1: Favorite thing about rowing?
That feeling you get when you have given absolutely everything you've got knowing you've done your best. Your whole body is a mess and you can barely stand on your feet from exhaustion but still, you've got the most amazing feeling of satisfaction. 

2: Favorite rowing memory?

Training camp with my team in the Easter holidays. So much fun, hard work and bonding time with the team.
3: Favorite seat?
hmm good question actually. I don't quite know. I've mostly been stroke (the person sitting in the front, setting the stroke rate and rhythm) , which I really like but I do get all irritated when I'm not allowed to shout out calls, so I think I might like to be bow (seat one from behind), even though I've never tried it. 

4: Goal for this season?
I dunno, not capsizing at a race or something like that... Or perhaps entering a race where I don't come last... Yeah, my expectations for this season are really high! 

5: Best rowing experience?
Rowing past the finish line at my first race ever. Even though my time was shit I just couldn't stop smiling, I was so happy (and high on endorphines) 

6: What made you decide to row?
My mother, who insisted that I should join the local rowing team. apparently, according to her, because she wanted me to learn how to behave on the water...

7: Do you want to row in college?

I want to row forever. So yes, in college too. 

8: Ever won gold? 
Sadly no - but still hoping it'll come one day

9: Ever capsized in a boat?

Pains me to say it, but yes. Last Thursday... And I choose the worst possible moment to do it. I was all alone and I had just begun to row in a really good single scull made out of carbon fibre, and when it is made out of that, you are not allowed to crawl up in the boat again because it might break it. So basically I was fucked. Luckily my trainer saw me capsize and came and helped me. I swam into very shallow water where I could stand on the sea floor and somehow swing my leg over the boat and get into it again. Sounds difficult but I actually managed without the biggest trouble.  Still, wasn't a very pleasant experience, I got quite a chock! But nothing to do but get into the boat and row, row, row!

10: Worst rowing experience? 

A time when one of my trainers decided to seriously yell at me and my double partner in the middle of a practice on the water. He was seriously pissed, forgetting the tiny fact that we we were brand new at the sport and had no idea what we were supposed to do. I was seriously mad at him, which he apparently couldn't understand. Afterwards I've been told that he admitted he was out of line, telling us off like that but we never got an apology...


Hope you guys can get a better idea of what kind of person I am as a rower. Perhaps I'll make a similar entry on me as a person sometimes - we'll see.

Love as always
Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment