Monday, May 20, 2013

Eurovision love en masse

In honor of Denmark winning the Eurovison Song Contest this Saturday night and just because I love everything Eurovision so dearly I've decided I wanted to talk to you about my favorite part of the year and present a few (okay, a lot) of my favorite songs in a playlist on Spotify I've compiled just for you (or well, also myself but whatever):


Click HERE in order to see and listen to the whole playlist!

I can't believe Denmark actually won. Last time we won was back in 2000 with the Olsen Brothers and their song Fly on the Wings of Love - something I did not experience since my love for Eurovision was born the year after when Denmark was to host the big finale. I remember being extremely fascinated by the hostess big, pink princess gown and not being able to keep myself awake. Which was a shame since AQUA performed while people were voting.

After that experience it has been something I've watched every year and obsessed quite a lot over. I can talk about it for hours without getting tired of it and there's just something so incredibly amazing about so many countries coming together to sing, dance and party. I like the way it brings people together despite differences such as language and cultural views. There is no barrier when it's about music.

Sure, Eurovision has its bad sites - for example when they held the show last year in Baku and they tore down several of buildings in order to build the big arena, but also the contestants coming from corrupt countries - but it is also, as mentioned before, something that brings joy and happiness and unity. It shows how a lot of people can work in collaboration in order to get the best show possible.

Talking about the best show possible: If I had a top three over my absolute favorite shows Sweden's would definitely be in the top! I loved their funny features (especially with the EBU-woman going around showing the world Sweden - and a bit of Copenhagen as well) and the wave of goosebumps that washed over me when the grand finale started. The song "We write the story" and the people walking with the flags were a perfect combination and a perfect start to a perfect night with a perfect result.

So yeah, as you can tell, I'm quite passionate about it and I will proceed to watch it every.single.year. It's - after all - the best night of the year and every year when the last bit of credits roll over the screen I start getting excited for next year. Which will be held in Denmark! Fingers crossed it'll be in Copenhagen! But whereever they decide it's going to be held I'm sure going to be there. I wouldn't want to miss it for anything.

Love,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment