Saturday, May 4, 2013

The life of a rower

Apart from a huge amount of training (just agreed with my trainer to start row five times a week now - wuhuu!) and a painful lack of sleep (Seriously. I. Need. Sleep) there are two things that have changed quite a bit since I started rowing: 1) I don't drink alcohol anymore, and 2) I eat a horribly amount of food. I know, it sounds a bit sad (mostly the alcohol thing, because food is never sad) so please let me elaborate.

It wasn't really a hard decision to cut alcohol. Over the summer I started to get tired of drinking and partying (God knows why because it used to be my favorite thing to do) so when I decided to do competition rowing it sort of just came as a natural thing, not to drink any more. Our trainers don't want us to drink and in general there is an attitude against alcohol among us competition rowers (Even though I am pretty sure some of the boys drink more than once in a while). And honestly I would much rather be one hell of a rower than having a fun night out once in a while. I have been told that one beer ruins a whole week of training, which I am not quite sure I believe, but alcohol definitely has a bad effect on your training. And it's not like I don't go the the parties, I am just that lonely sober person sitting in the corner... No seriously, I have lot's of fun. And zero hangover, which is a very big plus. So all in all, no big sacrifice.

As far as the food is concerned I have to admit it is not at all a sacrifice. The quite opposite actually. I love food and being able to eat more is just like being in heaven (Okay perhaps I am exaggerating a bit here, I just like eating okay) And there is no need for me to get a bad conscience because I actually need the extra energy. So no harm done right? Actually I must admit that I have gained a bit of weight these past two month. But I just keep telling myself it's all muscles - and as my friend says, muscles weight more than fat. So all good, and I can keep eating. So I eat, and I eat a lot, and I don't really plan on changing that. I have actually reached a point where every time I start eating something my friends look at me and say something like this: "Are you seriously eating AGAIN? you just ate 30 minutes ago?!" Okay, maybe not every half hour, but often. A girl from my class once said to me, that "It is not often I see you without a piece of food in your hand, Christine"

With that lovely comment I will leave you guys and go drown my sorrows in lots of food, and no alcohol.

See you
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment