Monday, May 6, 2013

No day but today


Ever since I spent a whole summer listening to the soundtrack of RENT, watching the movie and shedding thousands of tears it has been one of my favorite moviemusicals (yes, I have only watched the movie - shame on me) and soundtracks. I'm not sure why I didn't mention it on the list of my favorite musicals, but as you might can tell already, I forget things easily and I tend to like way too many things at once.

RENT is the story of a group of friends living in New York City. It's the early 90s, a lot of them are broke (heart and money-wise) and AIDS and HIV is suddenly a part of their world.
Following their ups and downs in a year we get introduced to what a life could be and how unexpected it can turn out; but also how we should live our live and simply enjoy it. It's too short for anything else.



There's just something beautiful over RENT and every time I watch it, I have an urge to go in there and hug the heck out of all of them. And yet, they are so, so inspiring; finding joy in what they are doing and trying to seize the day even though it might not want to be seized. It makes me happy. Simple as that.

The stories of each character are unique and yet they are all alike. It's a beautiful portrayal of how a life can turn out and how quickly things can change; how opportunities needs to be seized now and not tomorrow. There is, after all, no day but today. 


Companied by songs en masse it sets the standard for future musicals, makes you want to dance and aspire to live as if you were to die tomorrow. It's so full joy for life and I cannot recommend it enough. Also, Christopher Columbus movie is extremely pretty cinematic and it's simply a joy for the eye to watch. Definitely a musical that can cheer up a gloomy day despite its serious topics - just try and listen to two of my favorite songs:

Seasons of Love


Finale B

Until next time - keep smiling and let the sun shine in! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment