Monday, April 15, 2013

Magical Musicals



There are tons of tons of stuff I want to share with you on this blog, but since it is my first “real” entry on here I think I should limit myself to only one subject for today.
I’ve been thinking about what would be a good thing to start with all week and I’ve come to the conclusion that favorite musicals and why I love them might be a good one to pick. Let’s get to the basics! (and you’ll be prepared for future references…)

I’ve loved everything musical-ish ever since I saw my first Disney-movie (including High School Musical – I don’t think I have to elaborate on that one. What’s not to like about a singing school?), but it was when I went to London’s West End with my mom and sister to watch The Lion King and Hairspray my love for watching them live began to grow. There is just something hauntingly beautiful about a live-production and seeing people on that stage never missing a beat and just having a burning passion for what they’re doing.


Later I started in high school and I signed up for the choir of the annual school musical (even though I’m not the best singer – very close to being the worst, actually, if not the worst), which turned out to be none other than Spring Awakening – an absolutely stunning, fantastic and extremely clever musical about a bunch of kids in the 19th century trying to figure out life and what it involves.
The musical quickly turned out to be one of my all-time favorite musicals. I love the message, the passion and the simplicity every production seems to contain. The songs are so, so dear to my heart and even though they’re not your usual Broadway-showstoppers they are just so incredibly catchy! Also, fun fact: Laura and I was in the choir together and I think it was the stepping stone for our friendship. :)


A few months later when the production was over, I couldn’t bear listening to the songs because, well... it reminded me of an extremely good time and, frankly, it was a bit depressing knowing it was already over, so I started listening to the soundtrack of Wicked. The musical is based on the story of Wizard of Oz, only it’s a prequel to the well-known tale and centers around the wicked, green witch Elphaba and the glittery, good Witch from West: Galinda (or Glinda) instead of Dorothy.

I have never watched Wicked live but it’s one of my biggest wishes to do so one day. The score is such good one and never fails to cheer me up when I have a bad day – especially Dancing Through Life is the perfect song to give a listen when you are a little down and do not want to go to school.
I love the way the score is so bright and dance-y without topping over, but also the fact that the story is about friendship, how unexpected it can turn up and the fact that evil persons aren’t necessarily all evil and vice versa.


The theme of evil is also covered in my most recent favorite musical Phantom of the Opera. I went to watch the Danish production of the sequel to it, Love Never Dies, back in October last year and got totally blown away. The only thing though was that I couldn’t remember Phantom that well, so I went home and stumbled upon the 25th anniversary performance of the musical in the Royal Albert Hall and thus my obsession was born.

The music is extremely captivating, beautiful and haunting and as I listen to the score I can’t help but feel the magic rush over me. The fascinating story about the choirgirl, Christine Daaé, and the Phantom of the Pariser Opera is told entirely through songs but it doesn’t matter. The songs are so varied and the music so rich; you will always discover new things when you listen to the score for the billionth time (trust me, I know) and that is why I love it so much. With passion, suspense, love, danger, desire and sorrow it’s basically the most perfect cocktail you could ever stumble upon and I so hope I one day will be able to watch live. It is kind of a contradiction to the other shows I love, but that is why it’s so special to me.


So yes, these are my three absolute favorite musicals. I have a lot of other favorites as well, but 1.) Phantom, Wicked and Spring Awakening are those which mean the most to me and 2.) I think this post is already too long for its own good so maybe I’ll tell you about them later! As you can read from all of this, it is probably a good thing I have this blog to pour out my heart or else people would start ignoring me full-time. ;)

Let me know if you have any favorites and we'll see each other next Monday, where I've, hopefully, been visiting a green troll in his swamp.

Courage and everything,
Becca

Picture source: Unknown

1 comment: