Monday, April 22, 2013

Shrek: The Musical

Hello lovely readers!

A new week has begun thus meaning that I have to write an entry on here. Last time I gave you an overview over my absolute favorite musicals and hinted that I'd be visiting a certain green troll in his swampy home with his faithful companion, Donkey.

As you might can guess from my hints... Yes, I went to watch the Danish production of Shrek: The Musical with a couple of friends including Sofie, Christine and Laura from here (it was actually a birthdaygift to Sofie).




I love the story about the green troll and it has always been one of my favorite movies; one of those you could always return to knowing you'd be cheered up instantly. The wicked and funny characters really makes an impact on you, which is why I was quite excited to see how the musical would be.

My feelings about it are quite mixed. I like the spin they took on the original movie and I really digged the minimalistic stage-design with three big, oval shaped scenes upon each other which served both as  a castle, a hill and the swap when being lighted up by projecting pictures. There wasn't anything wrong with the actors as well; they were really good and I loved the costumes and their voices! Especially Maria Lucia's, who played Fiona, but I think I've always had some sort of musical-crush on her.



I wasn't exactly blown away though, and it kind of really annoys me since I have had so many expectations to Shrek: The Musical. The production lacked intimacy; it may have to do with were we were sitting (quite in the top actually) and the venue (Forum Copenhagen is one big no-go when it comes to musicals) but it doesn't change that fact that I was left with a quite empty and anticlimactic feeling when we had applauded for the last time and the actors had gone off the stage. No, I do not demand getting dragged onto the stage so I physically can be a part of it, but I just wanted to be invested in these characters and feel like I was tagging along with Donkey and Shrek on their adventurous fare even though I was just sitting in my seat. Because that's what the story is about; it's about watching these three total different people form a friendship. Most of the time I caught myself thinking that this could be a movie; I did not feel like I was watching something live.

The musical had its magical moments, yes, and Martin Brygmann who played Lord Farquaard was absolutely genius, but I think I have to say that it wasn't really down my alley. I had some laughs, a few chills, and the songs were okay ... but they didn't really make an impact on me (beside thise one) and, unfortunately, neither did the musical.

Photo:Unknown 

No comments:

Post a Comment