Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Wonders of Makeup


I’m going to start this feature off with a little something about myself. For months now (and when I say months I mean years) I’ve been looking for the product, the product that would give my skin the flawless finish as seen in the magazines and alike. I have searched and tried different products and none of them gave me the result I wanted. I have finally figured out why. The reason (besides the fact that those photos are photo shopped and have gotten airbrushed the hell out of them) is that I have freckles. Bum. That’s the reason. I have tiny little dots of miscoloured skin all over my face, and I mean, all over. Sigh. I must come to terms with the fact that that is something I, unfortunately, cannot change. I will just never achieve the flawless complexion of those models. And as I’ve read in my make up-book How to look pretty, not plastered one must never try to conceal freckles, because then one will end up looking powdery and chalky. Trust me on this one, I’ve tried.

But generally, makeup is a pretty wonderful thing. It’s incredibly how a bit of colour here and there can completely chance one’s appearance. It is indescribably cool. I’ve worn makeup since I was about fourteen or fifteen years old and the reasons behind the cosmetic use are simple: My sister was wearing it, some of my friends were starting to wear it and I thought it was cool and pretty. I wear makeup pretty much every day. It doesn’t matter whether I’m wearing a really fancy dress with my high healed boots or wearing my most comfortable sweats with a hoodie, I will always, without fail, be wearing makeup. Why? Because it makes me feel pretty and I feel put together. So even though my clothes might not be up to scratch, at least my face doesn’t look like a ran-over rat or something that has slept under a rock for ages. Because that is how my face looks like without makeup and I’m not lying or exaggerating, I really do look like s***. My everyday makeup routine is nothing fancy: A bit of concealer, some foundation, a bit of compact powder and mascara – BOOM! Done. But seriously, to me, make up is kind of like art. Your appearance can change completely just by applying some products here and there.
Even though makeup can do all of that, makeup shouldn’t really be about changing your appearance or making you look picture perfect. To me, makeup is about enhancing and accentuating your best features! So if you have really big eyes, why not enhance them with eyeliner and mascara; if you have really prominent cheekbones, highlight them! Makeup is about making you look your best – be the best version of yourself that you can. I’m not saying you have to wear makeup – I’m all for the natural look which I can’t rock myself because of my very prominent and always present blush, but there is no reason why you should wear makeup if you don’t want to. I just think that if something makes you feel more confortable and confidant, then why not utilize it? If it makes you carry yourself taller, makes you feel attractive and on top of the world, like it does to me, then you should defiantly take advantage of it. Wearing makeup does not make you fake – just like not wearing makeup doesn’t make you sloppy. When it comes to makeup (and a lot of other things in life) I say ‘to each its own – that’s what makes the world go around’. But I will always be wearing makeup not matter what. Funny enough, its when I wear makeup I feel the greatest.

As always, courage,
Laura

PS Sorry for the late posting … I suck. Also, grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment